Launched August 2013, the Microtainer series was created and curated by Satsuko VanAntwerp of Social Innovation Generation. The MaRS Solutions Lab is excited to take on this legacy to spread information that will be interesting, insightful and useful to lab practitioners and the lab-curious. To access the whole archive of microtainers, please visit SiG’s Microtainer page.
Interesting resources that came across our desks in the month of January 2015 (in no particular order):
- Nesta’s annual predictions “10 predictions for 2015” (podcast)
“This year, we’re predicting that a new online political party will emerge in the UK, there will be new ways to interact with our national museums and galleries, and there will be a surge in young people expressing their creativity using new digital tools.”
- Medium blog “Chile’s new public laboratory and its many waters”
Read more about Chile’s upcoming new public sector lab, the GobLab.
- MindLab’s blog “Design Games That Play”
“A design game is an effective and inspiring playground, where you can practise before ideas turn into reality. Get good advice and navigate around the most common pitfalls, if you are faced with rethinking or developing new services for your users.
- Government Technology’s news article “Google Reveals its Innovation Lab for Government”
“Google plans to institutionalize innovation through a mobile innovation lab that combines its suite of apps with motivated government innovators.”
- Wired Magazine’s article “Serious Games Go Offline: Bringing the Board Game to the Board Room”
“Instead of e-learning, apps or social media, [companies] use physical simulations inspired by board games to accelerate the organization’s ability to learn and adapt to change.”
- Stanford Social Innovation Review’s article “The Dawn of System Leadership”
“The deep changes necessary to accelerate progress against society’s most intractable problems require a unique type of leader—the system leader, a person who catalyzes collective leadership.”
- The Social Lab’s Fieldbook
Download the first section of the Social Lab Fieldbook. “This is a practical and interactive ebook that will guide you in creating and sustaining an effective social lab with passion, precision and purpose.”
In case you’ve missed it:
- The Long + Short’s blog “Hooked on Labs: The experimental life is being created all around us”
“Labs are places where people conduct experiments to test out theories. The new labs proliferating outside the hard sciences are a symptom of the spread of experimentalism as an ideology for how we should shape the future.”
- Nesta’s guide “Innovation teams and labs: a practice guide”
“This practice guide shows what innovation teams and labs do, and provides a practical introduction to establishing and running a new team or lab.”
- Deloitte’s Gov 2020
Explore trends and drivers for the future of government in year 2020. A resource accumulated by Deloitte.