Kunal Gupta shares his success story
“Keep asking yourself: ‘What is the best thing for my business, and am I focused on it?’” — Kunal Gupta, CEO, Polar Mobile
The Entrepreneurship 101 series kicked off 2013 with a Lived It Lecture showcasing the CEO of one of MaRS’ biggest success stories.
Kunal Gupta, CEO of Polar Mobile, built his company in 2007 during the tail end of his undergraduate degree at the University of Waterloo. To date, his mobile application company has seen over 10 million downloads in a dozen countries.
A client of MaRS’ information technology, communications and entertainment (ICE) practice, Polar Mobile had a big year in 2012, raising $6 million in funding. The rapid growth and success of Polar Mobile led to Kunal being included in Marketing magazine’s 30 Under 30 list.
In this lecture, Kunal focused on three important areas for a successful startup: finance, customers and talent. He shared his experience and offered advice to entrepreneurs on the topics of:
- funding (including three tips on how to increase success when raising capital);
- customer relations;
- creating and maintaining an effective business team; and
- future trends in the mobile market.
While Kunal provided insightful perspectives on entrepreneurship, he also focused on the qualities of the “person behind the venture.” His wit and charisma made his talk compelling, while also being informative.
Catch Kunal talk about his continuing success story, followed by an audience Q & A session here:
- Video: Lived It Lecture with Harry Rosen—Quick Hits
- Video: Lived It Lecture with Bruce Poon Tip of G Adventures
- Article: “Being an entrepreneur”
Want to connect?
- Join the Entrepreneurship 101 LinkedIn Group.
- Follow the conversation on Twitter: #ent101
- Get updates on Vimeo.
- Download the course schedule.
Lauren worked with the entrepreneurship programs team at MaRS. She kept track of thousands of event attendees and assisted in marketing efforts to keep them coming back for more. See more…