Screening job candidates: Video and phone interview questions
Video and phone screening interview: Your opening before the questions
“We have received your resume applying for the __________ position. We are using this initial interview to get some additional information from you to determine if there’s a potential fit with our needs and to assess if we would like to advance you as a candidateto the next stage of our interview process.”
You may find it helpful to use a table such as the following to log the details of the screening interview with a job candidate.
|Recommendation for in-person interview: YES or NO|
Video or phone screening questions for job candidates
- What prompted you to apply for this position?
- Briefly describe your job history. (This will help you to determine the candidate’s reasons for leaving past jobs.)
- Describe a typical day in your current job.
- What do you find challenging about your current position? How do you overcome such challenges?
- What qualities make you a strong contributor?
- What kind of work culture/environment do you thrive in?
- Where does our startup’s job opening fit within your career plans?
- What are your salary expectations?
- Can you commute or relocate if necessary?
- What stage are you at in your job search?
- If you were selected for the position, when could you start?
- Describe your availability for an in-person interview.
- Do you have any questions for me?
Video or phone screening interview: How to close
The following are examples of how to close a video or phone screening interview.
“Thanks for your responses. We have several other applicants to speak with before we proceed with setting up in-person interviews.”
“We would like to now schedule you to come in for an in-person interview.”